SharePoint Service Application Starter Kit
A Visual Studio Extension that installs SharePoint project templates for creating custom SharePoint Service Applications of different flavors.
How to Get It
The installers are available from the Visual Studio Gallery, and directly from within Visual Studio via the Extension Manager.
There are two versions of the Extension:
There are also
packages available for the Chocolatey installer. Use the following commands:
c:\> cinst sastarterkitvs2012
c:\> cinst sastarterkitvs2010
After installing the extension in Visual Studio, you will see several templates under the SharePoint category:
- SharePoint WCF Service Application
A service application that communicates via WCF services between the Web Front Ends and the Application Servers.
- SharePoint WCF Service Application w/ Custom Database
Everything in #1, with support for provisioning a custom SQL Server database.
- SharePoint WCF/REST Service Application
Everything in #1, with REST services deployed to _vti_bin, supporting AJAX access to the service application.
- SharePoint WCF/REST Service Application w/ Custom Database
Everything in #2, with REST services deployed to _vti_bin, supporting AJAX access to the service application.
- Built with localization support.
- Custom Central Administration page for provisioning the Service, ServiceProxy, and ServiceInstances, including provisioning the ServiceInstance to newly added servers to the farm.
- Fully commented, explaining all major pieces of the service application framework.
- Supports ability to publish service applications (cross-farm services)
- Comes with PowerShell scripts to manage provisioning and uninstallation of all components.
- Code passes majority of StyleCop and FxCop (Static Code Analysis, All Rules) rule sets.
- Supports Backup/Restore of the ServiceApplication, ServiceApplicationProxy, and custom SQL Server database using standard SharePoint backup/restore processes.